Monday 14 December 2015

4 Quick Christmas Cards

Just when I thought I was all caught up & organized I wake up in a cold sweat at 3am this morning and remember 2 people I forgot to mail Christmas cards to. 
Oh no! I had no cards left! 
So I was up early and in my craft room by 7am so I could make more cards
 and get them in the mail by noon.

First up ~ pick a colour scheme
Next I grab a 9"x12"sheet of 140lb cold press watercolour paper & then I began to
apply drops of distress paint and spread them around with a soft brush.
I started with the greys and then the red from lightest to darkesk, using my heat gun to dry the paint before applying more layers.

 I forgot to take more photos of this step as I was so into creating the the layers.
The far left photo shows the watercolour paper trimmed to four 4.25' x 6" card fronts.
Next I inked the edges with Aged Mahogany Distress Ink & used 4 of my Tim Holtz Layering stencils to add some more depth. It was time to add a few more details using sequins, Sizzix dies, stamping and embossing powders.

Check out the cool die cut snowflakes from Southern Ridge Trading Co. that I used on this first card.
Amazing right? Check them out for some awesome die cut chipboard images.
I used Picket Frence Ditress paint on these then covered with Soft Fallen Snow embossing powder from Emerald Creek Craft Supplies.



I am happy to report that 2 of these cards made it to the 
post office by noon and I have 2 cards to spare. Just in case. ;)
 Thank you so much for visiting my blog and I hope you have an amazing day!
~~stay crafty~~
http://themixedmediacardchallenge.blogspot.ca/2015/12/mmcc-18-celebration.html

29 comments:

  1. Oh how I love these gorgeous matte painty creations! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors you chose!All the cards look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic cards! Whoever receives these will be thrilled!
    I'm glad it's not just me who has to make last minute ones! Lol!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a great set of holiday cards!! Love the rich tones and how the patterns in the background look like shadows! I admit I do love the first one best, snowflakes are such a lovely Christmas accent and all the snow, wow...festive glory!!

    Thank you so much for joining us at Anything But Cute for our 'You've Got Happy Mail' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND...Thank you for also joining us at Frilly and Funkie for our 'Tis the Season' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

      Delete
  5. Love the gorgeous backgrounds you created! Thanks so much for joining us at CASE-ing Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is no way they look as though you made them quickly, they're fab!!! Those backgrounds are great and such a great colour choice too. Thank you for sharing them with us at CASE-ing Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really were quick! The background especially - one sheet of paper and paint quickly brushed on and dried. The first 3 cards were done in just over an hour. The last card I decided to fill the die cut out with glossy accents so it took a long time to dry. That was my extra card so I wasn't too concerned with time. Thanks so much for dropping by!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing your fantastic card with us at TioT's this time.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are SO gorgeous! I LOVE the fabulous colors--they look amazing after you blend them! Thanks for joining us at CASE-ing Christmas! Sending HUGS! :) Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so nice Julia! I got your card this morning and I love it! THANK YOU <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! A little crafty love from Edmonton.

      Delete
  10. Love every one of these cards and can't believe each unique card started with the same background. Thanks for joining us at Anything But Cute.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  11. These would take me the better part of a day to make. They are gorgeously grungy! Each one is special... I am in awe. Thank you so much for joining our last CASE-ing Christmas challenge. We truly appreciate your support and hope to see you again soon. Happy Christmas!
    hugs, Asha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful cards Julia! Love that you used the Chipboard from Southern Ridge. Thanks for playing along with us at Southern Ridge Trading Company.
    -Katelyn DT member at Southern Ridge

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are beautiful cards, love your backgrounds! Thank you for playing along at CASE-ing Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A super card love the colours, thank you for joining us on the Tiot challenge hugs Bee.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great mix of colors on your pretty background! The wooden snowflakes really pop along with the splatter! a lovely set of cards! thanks for joining us in the Mixed Media Card Challenge! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous cards, thanks so much for joining us at TIOT, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  17. And that Julia is how you do fabulously fast and gorgeous cards! LOVe it! Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh these are fun, and give me hope you making 4 cards fast! My DH just asked me to make 4 cards by tomorrow. Hmmm! Hehe! Awesome sauce colors and blending. Your snowflakes are gorgeous and your backgrounds are fantabulous! Merry Christmas!

    Thanks for joining in our "You've Got Happy Mail" challenge at Anything But Cute. Hugz. ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  19. Julia, I've walked in your shoes; waking up in the middle of the night with that I'm at a party in my pajamas feeling! You did an amazing job of putting this beautiful cards together in no time at all--so inspiring! You have achieved such amazing depth on those lovely, rich toned backgrounds and your embellishments are perfect compliments! Way to go on these-pinned, because I know I will need a few more cards; I just have that feeling!

    Thank you for joining our You've Got Happy Mail Challenge at Anything But Cute. Merry Christmas! Sara EmilyDT

    ReplyDelete
  20. All cards are so pretty, fun techniques :) lovely color combo..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous set!!!
    Thank you so much for joining You've Got Happy Mail challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Hugs

    Samra DT
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  22. love every single one of these! gorgeous!!! glad you played along with us at MMCC :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I really appreciate it!